Mar 31, 2008

Hiking Boots

FSG strongly suggests training in the hiking shoes that you will be wearing. This gives them a good break-in time. They don't promote any one specific brand, but do suggest a well broken in boot with ankle support.

I wanted to get my boots on sale at Campmor, but my wife thought I should buy them locally so I could try them on and start wearing them on my hikes. The pair I bought here in Sitka cost $150.00, and I saw the same pair at Campmor for $120.00, so I didn't feel too bad.

The Vasque Breeze GTX XCR Airmesh leather uppers make these lightweight boots exceptionally breathable and comfortable. No kidding! These shoes have got to be THE most COMFORTABLE hiking shoes I've ever owned. They've got nylon lining, "DryTech" footbed, molded EVA midsole for shock absorption, and Vibram® Contact outsole for traction.
They ARE lightweight: 2 lbs. 7 oz.

I'm very happy with these, but the proof will be in how they treat my feet, both hiking down the canyon, and up. I've been told by a woman who did the same hike, that NO ONE escapes BLISTERS! She loaned me a CD of pictures of her hike, and there were some gruesome pictures of her feet with blisters and black toenails, which eventually fell off! UGH!
Of course, I'm taking my Smartwool socks in two different weights: heavy cushion and medium. I've also got some low cut Smartwool socks.

For blister remedy, I'm taking a couple sheets of Moleskin, some of my mother's corn pads (remember those?), and some devil's club salve which my sister makes. It's our Tlingit Indian medicine, which I trust over other blister medicines.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert Davis Hoffmann said...

They're still my most comfortable boots. I use them even to just go on walks!